Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Back to school!


Depending on the time of day (heavy traffic around 8am and 6pm) it takes 40-80 minutes on the bus to get to my school a couple towns over. Upon leaving the house, I walk just about a block and around the corner to Benevides, the large street, maybe 3 lanes each way and cross the street to catch the bus going the correct direction. The bus I want is one of the larger ones, not the smaller, minivan sized combis, which are very squishy and small, and in my opinion, better for trips a little shorter than my daily commute to school. The bus is brown and yellow and says “La Molina” on the front somewhere usually. But the color is the way to catch it. There is always a bus driver (usually male) and a cobradora (male, female and maybe even kid/teen).
The cobradora is like the circus ring man. as the bus drives, he is hanging from the bus door, waving his hands and appears to yell “come one come all, the greatest bus on earth right here, get on!!” and the funny thing is, I don’t know why they need to sell the bus. It’s a bus, people either need to take that bus, or not. I don’t really believe it’s much of an option. But, at the same time, they are directing people in a sense, yelling where they are going in the middle of some whistles and ‘get on!’s. Once I am on, maybe sitting, or maybe standing, gripping the yellow handrails for dear life, the cobradora eventually comes through with their handful of coins, ‘shake shake shake’ all down the aisle till they get to you. “Where are you going?” “La Molina” I answer, and sometimes I add “Universidad de San Ignacio de Loyola” but they tend to not care about that. I give them my 2 soles, wait for my 50 centimos change and try to get comfy in my seat or wedged between whomever I happen to be standing next to. The ride isn’t too bad already; I think I got used to it fast, although I will never be 100% secure with the insanity that is driving in Lima. When the bus driver is going to stop at a bus stop, he honks. When he wants to leave the bus stop, he honks, when he wants to change lanes, he honks, when the light turns green, he honks. Basically, all means of communication is through honking. I sure hope all the other drivers on the road know the difference between the “I’m stopping” honk and the “I’m changing 5 lines” honk. Ha…..ha…..
When it’s time to get off, you make your way to a door, front or back, and say “baja” until the door is opened. Once I am off it’s a short walk across the street and then I am at school! Yay!

Taxis are also a pretty convenient way to get around and cheap if you have a car full of people, which we usually do. Taxis here are not set prices if you get them off the street. You bargain your price before you get in. for most of the trips we take, we are able to bargain it from 10 to 8, or from 8 to 6. I think we always aim at least one sol less than they originally propose. Once we agree, we pile in, and split the pay when we arrive at our destination. It’s quite nice for going to dinner or going out on in the evenings because it’s easier and more convenient than the buses, and sometimes just as cheap.

The traffic and transportation is just another part of the culture that I am slowly learning! There are a lot more interesting things that happen and have happened on these trips and I will write as funny things happen but for now, this is a good glimpse at what my daily commute is like.
Ciao : )

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe. This made me laugh. I think your explanation does justice in representing the situation of public transportation in Peru

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know I can leave comments!! Now I will =)
    But I really enjoyed this entry and I'm glad you are having a great experience!

    ReplyDelete